Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Gym and Writing

I went to the gym Monday and eased into standing rows.  I used 10 lb weights the first few standing dumbbell sets, and felt good enough to go up to the regular 20 lb for the last set.  Things seemed to be going well, so I went straight into the 45 lb barbell weights during the barbell press/row set.  And it felt really great. 

The rest of the week will be interesting -- little errands here and there are interfering with my regular gym schedule.


Tuesday night was writing night.  I worked a little here and there on three separate short story manuscripts.  One is a talking heads flash piece--actually I should say bitching heads piece:  the tone wants to be something clever by Noël Coward and is failing.   The second is a short harvest festival romance story, which is mostly finished.  The third is short story about a magic camera.  I need to sit down with all three and go paragraph-by-paragraph to clarify and amp up the stakes.   My characters tend to be interior, and their conflicts aren't always clear right away.

The local gay bar, and more importantly the quiet little lounge they have in back, was busy this week.  I don't know if there was some sort of event going on down town or a concert or something -- traffic was busy, and there were lots of new faces in the front bar.   In terms of a good quiet place to write, it's perfect; the only fly in the ointment is that they put too much pepper for my tastes on all of their food (even the salad).

It continues to be raining one moment, sunny the next here. 

No comments: