Monday, April 08, 2019

April 2019 Flood

 According to the weather service, Eugene got 3.77 inches of rain over the last 48 hours.  This appears to have been typical up and down the Willamette Valley, and, accordingly, the river has flooded.

Mark and I went down to Alton Baker Park and I took some photos.
 The Eugene Park System features a scale model of the solar system.  The sun and the planets are at scale sizes and distances.  Mercury and Venus are the size of BB's, and their stands were almost submerged.  Here's the sun.  I want to say it's about five feet high.
 Probably the most photographed sign in Eugene today.
The Willamette River.  Normally it's blue.  And narrower.









 The water fowl seemed a little agitated and confused.  We hoped that the geese hadn't had too many nests (with eggs) inundated.  Normally, the railing this goose is on comes up to my elbows.
 I'm trying to think where the spillway from the goose pond is.  It's around here under the water somewhere....
 The Peter DeFazio Pedestrian Bridge usually has it's pylons resting on dry land.
 There's usually a paved walkway under the bridge.
 And benches for folks to sit.
The water looked a lot deeper than it actually was.  Still, I don't think I'd want to wade through it.

No comments: