Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Turkeys

 Over the weekend, it was my brother-in-law's birthday.  We went to their house to celebrate.
 A local turkey flock strutted about the road outside the house.  I'm not sure if the toms were in some kind of competition or not, but whenever there was some kind of noise (like a deer sneezing), they would gobble-gobble-gobble. 






The first birds I saw were some chicks and their mother.  I thought it was interesting how the chicks used the hen's tail-feathers as a parasol. 

 When I managed to get close to the toms, they were in the middle of a beauty competition.  Their tails rattled as they shook them, which reminded me of a male peacock's display I saw long ago.







 I think I would have preferred to see a peacock, because the turkey's chest feathers look like they've been partially disemboweled in an accident, and their blue heads and blood-red wattles are unappealing. 






These turkeys reminded me of the Macey's Day Parade float, "Tom the Turkey,"  (especially when they trailed their wing tips along the ground) but having refreshed my memory, I see Tom's been made much more cute than these guys. 


No comments: