Friday, May 17, 2019

Queer Eye Fish Sticks

 Ages ago, I tried a Queer Eye Recipe for home-made fish sticks.  The idea was to make something that was gluten-free and marginally healthier for you than batter-breaded cod.

I went to the fish store and made a New Best Friend when I told them I was trying a new Queer Eye Recipe.  They didn't have the fish I was looking for--I think it was mahi-mahi--but found a suitable replacement. 

I cut the fish into strips and then coated them with egg (peers at photo to refresh memory... yeah, looks like two whole eggs).

The idea was to substitute macadamia nuts for the bread crumbs.  I ground them up in a food processor and put them into a bowl. 

Then it was a kind of assembly line:  pick up a fish strip, dunk it in the egg, flip it into the macadamia nuts, put on a plate.

Then fry them in canola oil.

I think next time I'll chop the nuts more finely because they had a tendency to fall off of the side of the fish during the frying process.  Also, the egg worked its way off of the fish and onto the chopped nuts, which made them clump up and harder to make stick to the fish.  I think next time I'll reserve some of the nuts so I can freshen the mix as I do the coating.

They came out okay.  Between the fish and nuts, it was a rich dish.  The family liked them, at least, and devoured them fairly quickly.  I think they'd go well with greens, and maybe a sweet mashed potato.







No comments: