Monday, March 09, 2020

Return to Silver Falls

 Sunday, we met some friends for a hike along Silver Falls.  The last time we went was a summer a few years ago (August 2017), when it was much dryer (and smokier).  Some of the falls were mere trickles back then.  Since we're still in Winter and there has been rain, the falls this time were more vigorous.  And the paths more muddy.


The falls are in a park that was built in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  The buildings are stone and wood beam construction, only not as fancy as the Mt. Hood Ski Lodge.


I'm not sure that I have a favorite fall, although I like the ones that cascade over a rocky lip and cover crescent shaped caves.  I'm unsure if the caves were ever used by the native folks.  I imagine they'd be a pleasant campsite during the summer months.


The only down-side of the hike was that during the end, as I was looking down to avoid stepping in a puddle or sinking into a mud-hole, I walked smack into a branch hanging over the path.  The blow was softened somewhat by my glasses, which translated the force of the branch across the bridge of my nose.  I thought for a moment that my glasses had become a permanent part of my face, but luckily, I was able to unembed them.


Surprisingly, the only wildlife we saw there were a couple of very tame and aggressive ducks.   While they weren't nearly as bad as the seagulls of the Atlantic City Boardwalk, these birds had no personal boundaries, and weren't above lunging at small children in the hopes of nicking a few stray crumbs.


I thought maybe we'd see osprey or bald eagles or red-tailed hawks, or other raptors, but the only ones we saw were the ones huddled in trees and surveying foggy pastures.


Oh! That's right, just out of Coburg we saw a herd of elk along I-5.










No comments: