Saturday, December 21, 2019

Solstice Spiral Walk

 Last Saturday (Dec 21), I presided over a Solstice Meditation Spiral Walk.  It was Wicca-flavored, and I invoked the four powers of the four cardinal directions.  My friend, C.N. did a majority of the back-stage management, I mostly just showed up, arranged fir boughs into a spiral, and said the words.

We turned down and lights and played some Tibetan Tone Bowl music.  Mark suggested this, and it was better than the Enya compilation I'd put together because it was less intrusive.  Folks walked the spiral with an unlit candle, lit it at the center of the spiral from flames at a wrought-iron tree, and then walked out of the spiral with a lit candle.  At some point on the outward journey, they placed their lit candle along the spiral -- a spiral of shadows became a spiral of light as the nigh progressed.

I sat in the east and thought about keeping the space open to the realm of spirit while simultaneously keeping an eye out for any candles setting the boughs on fire.  None did, although there was one moment where I thought one had.  There was also another moment where one celebrant raised her candle over her head and a part of me wondered if she was going to set a banner over her ablaze.  In between those times, I sat and thought about the returning light (and how I hoped it would bring renewed energy and motivation).

About ninety minutes and about one-hundred-twenty folks later, it was time to open the circle and end the event.  It's always a little sad and strange to blow out the candles after everyone has left.




No comments: