Monday, August 26, 2019

Koosah & Sahalie Falls

 Last weekend for Mark's birthday, a group of friends went to Koosah Falls & Sahalie Falls.  The falls are on the Mckenzie River, about a ninety minute drive east and a little north of Eugene. 

When we got there, the parking lot was full.  I had remembered a much larger facility.  And a picnic area.  I'd also remembered a more manicured path, so it was a good thing that some of my relatives didn't join us because they would have likely twisted an ankle as they bounced down the gorge and into the river. 

The hike is a loop that starts at Sahalie Falls, goes along the southern side of the gorge, goes below Koosah Falls, crosses a bridge above a reservoir, and then goes back up the north side of the gorge.  Above Sahalie Falls there's another bridge.  The hike was the sort of hike I like because it was shaded and the falls misted the gorge with a cooling spray.  Also, there are perpetual rainbows. 

The gorge smelled of fresh water and pines and moss.  I'm pretty sure there was a hawk or eagle of some sort flying above the boughs, but we only heard its calls.  I tried to photograph a snake basking on the rocks, but I only got its tail.  The river was a luminescent turquoise.   The north side of the gorge was rockier, and its volcanic origin more evident; there was a lot of basalt outcroppings. 

After the hike, we had a late lunch.  Originally, I thought there was a place to eat at the falls, but I was wrong.  We thought we'd try a nearby Clear Lake, but it was completely filled with tourists from far afield.  We ended up eating at the McKenzie River Ranger Station.

Mark enjoyed the hike and the company, and I was glad to be able to organize it.  However, note to self:  next year let Mark in on the planning; he doesn't like surprise birthday stuff nearly as much as you do, and he's better at picking sites that aren't as busy and have parking.






No comments: