Thursday, August 01, 2019

Flying to New York



I’m in the middle of a five and a half hour airplane trip.  We’ve been awake (with intermittent catnaps) since about 1:20 AM.  It’s almost 9:00 AM now, if one discounts the intercalary time zone on a plane between opposite coasts.   I would have liked to have taken a shower before we left, but our bath’s drain is clogged up, so we all had to make due with sponge baths in the kitchen sink.  I’m hoping the organic liquid plumber we tried to use will have time to eat away the clog while we’re away.

If I were really good, I’d be reviewing short stories, and maybe I’ll do that a little later.

Mark is doing well considering he’s still recovering from having a way-in-the-back tooth removed.  It does mean that he can only eat soft food, shouldn’t drink with a straw, and has to sneeze with his mouth open so that he doesn’t rupture his stitches or crack open the sinus above his now empty tooth socket.

The Child is engrossed with a mobile device, which is playing entertainment over the airline’s wifi.
The airplane seat is mostly comfortable; I do wish the head rest was higher and that the seat could lean back a little more.   I dosed fitfully for the first part of the flight, but between pitching forward when I truly fall asleep and the random shrieks of a baby (who has been mostly fine), I’m not really getting that much rest.

Once we land in Newark, we’ll embark by train to Suffern.


*

In Newark, we made our way to the AirTrain.  As we schlepped our carry-on luggage through the terminal, an airlines woman in the incoming security area gave us a stink eye and we could tell that she was gearing up to tell us that the flight was extra full and that we’d have to check our extra bags.  But we walked past her to the exit.

No comments: