Friday, February 21, 2020

Moon And Jupiter

 Wednesday (2/19)morning, I tried to take some photos of the Moon as it swung by Jupiter.  Luckily, I didn't have to get up at 4:30 to take pictures.

 I think the cold must be affecting the camera, or else I'm doing something fundamentally wrong when I focus the scene:  a majority of the shots came out blurry (I'm wondering if some combination of my progressive lens glasses and my far-sightedness is coming into play).  Another possibility is that the sky has been turbulent, resulting in wavering images.

In any case, many of the photos came out blurry or slightly out of focus.  The best photos are the "arty" ones with utility lines dividing the sky into sections.

Because it's been kind of nippy out, and because the moon is so low in the sky, I've been throwing my old Black And Purple Cloak on and scampering across the street to photograph the moon over our house.   I'm hoping that one neighbor in particular, who can be very timid, did not happen to be awake and looking out of her kitchen window.  I can imagine her calling 911 to report a Satanist (me, in a cloak) performing some kind of lunar ritual (or something) in the street with a strange device (my camera tripod).

This morning (and yesterday when the Moon was right next to Mars) string of the planets and the Moon was stunning.  Thursday morning, when the Moon was next to Saturn, the clouds and fog were out, so the sky was mostly featureless -- although the moon rose so near to sunrise that I'm thinking it would have been very difficult to see even with a clear sky.


No comments: