Sunday, February 09, 2020

Everything And The Kitchen Sink

The last week has been a quiet one; we've been a little under the weather here, with low activity levels.

Also, I had to replace the ten-year-old water faucet in our kitchen, which required multiple trips to multiple hardware store to scope out replacement parts, purchase a new faucet, and finally obtain a massive, three-foot-long water-valve key to turn the water off to our house.  I seem to recall a lot of swearing.  On the plus side:  we can use the sink without a mini-jet of water coming out of faucet; and I now have a tool that will allow me to pose, Poseidon like, shirtless and with one foot resting on a writing mass of pipes, waterlines, and wrenches.

Mark continued to conduct quests to Delta Ponds in order to see beavers.  The latest trip, early on Saturday morning (2/8), the water in the side-chanells was down, and there were no beavers to be seen.  I guess without the extra foot or three of water gone, they were less inclined to corpuscular morning activity (or else they were exhausted from a previous evening's worth of cambium gnawing).

We did come across a nonchalant heron stalking fish.

On the craft front, I came across a star design set in an octagonal grid system, and riffed off of it.  Stars, with their pentagonal symmetry, are tricky to work with, mostly because 60 degrees, 45 degrees, 90 degrees, and 72 degrees come together awkwardly in two dimensions.

What I've discovered is that pinching or opening the angle of the stars' points is a tremendous aid to cleaner designs when distributing stars around a regular polygon, like an octagon or a hexagon.  Specifically, if you trim a 45 degree angle off of an octagon, duplicated the angle five times and rotate it 72 degrees into a star, the resulting stars will project octagon-friendly grids more readily than a regular star.  Also, you can work with how the exterior and interior angles suggest zig-zags in lines for designs that look tangled on purpose instead of recursive snarls.

The star design on the left is using stars with points made with 45 degree angles, which makes for a more orthogonal design; the similar star design on the right uses points with 60 degrees, so hexagons look more regular.

Also on the craft front, I decorated an Altoids tin with a Valentine's design.  At least, it was supposed to be suggestive of Valentine's.  I was attempting to make two raptors, back-to-back, into a heart shape.  I did this all by hand instead of using the plotter-cutter, and got (more or less) identical shapes by tracing hard over my original design over colored cardstock.  I'm not sure if the heart shape is coming out or not; the end product has a pareidolia effect going.  Mark looked at the finished product and said they looked like parrots.  The background I chose gave the whole thing an Arts And Crafts feel, so I'm pleased about that.

On the writing front:  going slowly, but I did manage to submit a short story.  Yay.

On the gym front, I went last Monday for a Push-Pull Routine, which felt like running through molasses.  I was fighting off some kind of stomach bug.  I felt too run-down to go Wednesday.  Because of Thursday's plumbing adventures, I had pulled something in my hands that left my left thumb particularly pained when I grasped things, so I wanted to give my hands a rest Friday.   And Saturday.   And Sunday.












No comments: