Monday, June 17, 2019

Corvallis Wildlife

 Resucued this lizard (one of two) from my folks' pool Sunday.  I think it's a blue-bellied alligator lizard... but I may be recalling a name made up from childhood.  I'm not sure what the lizards were doing in the pool, and it seemed odd that there were two of them; maybe they were fighting and pushed each other in; maybe it was sexy-lizard time and they got distracted.  This one had been in the pool longer, I think, as it was near the bottom and not nearly as responsive as the first one I fished out, and which crawled up the skimmer net and onto my hand.

Earlier in the day, we had noticed this dragonfly.  There are three types flying around their house:  this one, one with a clear window in its wings, and a skinnier yellow banded one (I'm away from my dragonfly book, so I can't look up their names).

One nice thing about dragonflies--aside from eating a ton of mosquitoes--is that they'll stand still long enough for a photo, and this one obliged by alighting on a car antenna.   It also perched on a bird feeder, but I wasn't able to get as close (and also the camera's auto-focus kept wanting to take pictures of the trees in the distance).


No comments: