Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Quiet Weekend Reading

This last weekend was mostly a rest and recovery weekend.  I got a second COVID booster Friday evening, had my typical Very Strong Reaction, and spent most of Saturday morning in bed and most of Saturday afternoon in a lawn chair.  With a fever.  Not eating.  Much.  

Sunday I just felt tired, although I rallied enough in the afternoon to mow the back yard.  The rest of the time I read Dion Fortune's "The Winged Bull."  It was just the thing to pick up and put down as wanted, although I had to wince over the period's -isms.  I'll quote someone else and say that it's not great literature, but it does give an idea of proto-Neo-Paganism in 1930's Britain.

I did wonder how one might rewrite it only with gay characters.  I think the trick would be to loosen up a lot of the binary thinking underpinning the novel's philosophy, and make a distinction between duality of Cosmic Forces and magical gender polarity—all the while steering clear of Iron John's Mythopoeticism.  

Hmmm.  I'd probably have to use the title, "Sex Secrets of Atlantis."  Oh well.


No comments: