Monday, August 08, 2022

Continuing MidJourney Adventures

illustration of a young man with seven pumpkins
I'm discovering that the MidJourney AI has not been trained in classical Greek and Roman mythology, and that it's more likely to pick up modern cultural references to stories rather than the original myths and legends.  It also doesn't seem to know how to render Capricorn, the sea-goat, and instead of producing an image of a goat with the hind-quarters of a sinuous fish, it's more likely to make encephalitic creatures with crab feet and mutant horns.  I suppose I have to learn how to weight descriptors and choose the right ones.  

Also, if you ask the AI to draw librarians, it will render them as women.  Which does raise the question, why did I choose to have the librarian characters be male in the story.

I'm not sure if I'm having better luck using excerpts from various short stories and seeing what the AI does.  It looks like the AI wants to illustrate a Dark Phantasy, because as I cycle through the prompts, people's faces get more lopsided or sinister looking, and objects mutate into molten, multi-eyed parodies.  I might have to tack upbeat words like "wholesome" or "wonder" to the end to keep the artwork light.

It's also possible that my stories are creepier than I realize. 

So far, this has felt like homing in on a specific character in the multiverse.  Sometimes I get closer to the image of the character, and other times the AI goes in a different direction.   I'm not completely sure, but it's feels more satisfying to have another human come up with story images because there's a real sense of connection via an idea when someone else's art resonates with what was in my head when I was writing.  

No comments: