Thursday, June 30, 2022

Activist Judges

The Supreme Court overturned Roe a week ago last Friday and it feels similar to November 2, 2004, when Oregon voters approved Measure 36, which amended Oregon's constitution and defined marriage in Oregon as being between one man and one woman.   Bleah.  Just bleah.  

I never thought that I'd have to break out the old Romanovsky & Phillips song, "Homophobes in Robes."  


On a different topic, a conversation about favorite (and unfavorite) hymns got me thinking about language.  The other month I had misheard a chant as "Dark Moon! / New Moon! / Epic Spaghetti!" — it was really "Dark Moon! / New Moon! / Endings! / Beginnings!"  This hasn't stopped me from chanting the mis-heard version and giggling, and then moving on to "Echo Echo / Amalak!" 

But afterward, I had to wonder why I was dissatisfied with the actual chant.  Part of it was the recorded delivery of it; another part was that it wasn't something like "Tenebris Luna! / Nova Luna! / Terminus! / Initium!" which is a very quick and dirty translation into Latin.  After some more consideration and experiments with phrasing and meter, the third part was that the chant I heard wasn't very melodic.  

Oh well, I suppose this is further evidence that ritual presentation is important to me.

No comments: