Sunday, June 27, 2021

Out and About in an Evil Genius Machine

It's 104F as I type this, Sunday afternoon around three oclock.  We've corralled the cats into the house.  Smokey, our big grey fluffy cat, seems to be dealing with it well, as long as the dog stays in our bedroom.  Cicero, our smaller black barn-cat,  is complaining and crying that he wants to go out.  Given that the road and sidewalks would probably burn his pads off, that's not an option for him.  

Today's adventure was an Arcimoto rental.  Arcimotos are essentially three-wheelers for folks who want to stay on road; they're electric tricycles with two wheels in the front.  I'd driven one briefly last April for about five minutes.  Originally, I wanted to rent one last week, but there weren't any available, so I booked for today -- easily the hottest day in June since the 1940's.  

My fantasy was to zip around like some science fiction evil genius or a member of Teen Force on a hover-cycle.  The rental I got had a black body with blue and purple detailing, which fit that plan.  The revving and de-revving sounds the motors make also contribute to a strong science-fiction vibe.  I spent the first forty minutes or so of the rental zipping around the back streets of Eugene, the fairgrounds, and Amazon park getting a feel for how fast I could go when turning and how much braking distance I had with the battery power reclamation switch.  

At least this time riding in an Arcimoto I was not passed by a car trailing so much marijuana smoke that I thought it might be bong-powered--but there was a moment when I drove through a dank cloud emanating from Amazon restroom, which inspired a chorus of "Smokin' in the Boy's Room."  Sheesh.

I'd say the biggest differences between driving an Arcimoto and a car are 1) you're in the center of the vehicle, not over to the left, 2) steering is easier when power is applied to the front wheels, 3) there's no windows, 4) or doors, so 5) you are more sonically connected to the street and 6) your hair whips around all over the place.  7) the wheels are smaller and they translate rough roads to the passenger more.

I picked up Mark at the house and we were off.  Mostly.  I had to put on some sunscreen first.  Then, sitting in the driveway, I had to work my way through the vehicle's power-up cycle.  While I was working out the sequence of pressing a start button while simultaneously pressing the break, then turning off the parking break, we discovered that wasps have been using the passenger's side mirror on the car I usually drive as a hive site -- they were annoyed that a new, smaller machine without their hive was in the driveway.   This was a moment that drove home to us that an Arcimoto doesn't have doors.  I managed to back out of the driveway without any angry wasps following.  Mark may or may not have made backing-up-beeeping noises.

We zipped over to the Hendricks Park Rhododendron Gardens.  I may or may not have gotten a little lost because I didn't see a sign directing us there.   I think this is the part where I noticed that some roads in Eugene are more rough than others.  

The temperature was probably 85 F by 10:15, but the gardens were shady and cool.  We got out.  Mark had packed some snacks, and we shared a ginger brew then walked around looking at plants.  We missed the rhododendrons blooming, but we did see a plant called "Bears' Britches" (Acanthus Mollis) that I think would make a good border plant.

Mark wanted to go to a bakery called The Elegant Elephant, so we took a back-way out of the park and I drove us there.  I think during this segment of our trip was when Mark commented that one really did need to wear the cross-your-heart-dual-seatbelts providing four-point security.  There was also something about the back passenger seat feeling like a carnival ride from the lateral forces; I'm pretty sure that wasn't commentary about my driving, but more an observation of how the passenger is farther away than the driver from the pivot point of the Arcimoto.

Just before I got to the bakery, I realized that I had left the house without a mask.  This meant Mark had to order an Italian Soda for me.  By this time it was probably 90 F.  I re-tied my hair so it wouldn't blow into my face so much.  As I backed out of the bakery's parking lot, Mark definitely made "Beeep!  Beeep!" noises.   The Arciomoto is small and quiet, and I think he was worried we wouldn't been seen by other drivers or pedestrians (not that there were any others there).

We drove next to the Owen Rose Gardens.  Two seconds after I pulled in, a herd of Seniors on Vespas drove in and parked a little distance away from us.  It was one of those funny coincidences.  None of them looked like Evil Geniuses or members of Teen Force--although the Monty Python skit, "Hell's Grannies" did spring to mind.  I thought they were coming to see the roses, but about two minutes later, they all road off.  

We ate baked goods, and perambulated around the roses --an osprey flew over the river at this point -- and visited the 180 year old cherry tree planted by Eugene Skinner.   Mark likes peach or yellow roses, and the spirals in floribunda varieties please him more than the blooms of other types.   I want to say "Glowing Peace" was a favorite.  Then we looked at the Willamette River.  On our way we passed an impressive oak tree with a very straight trunk and tiny leaves.  

There was a little time left on the rental, so I suggested a scenic drive around Skinner's Butte.  As I backed us out, Mark "Beeeped!" again, and then we were off.  

I'd say the Arcimoto is cool.  I can see it being something one might take on a date to show up on the strip; if Eugene had a strip--the closest thing I can think of is 5th Street between High and Monroe.  I'm thinking if I had a hip, single, urban apartment existence, it might make a nice alternative to a car.  On a nice day with light traffic, I could see taking it to a winery, or possibly to Fern Ridge.  I'm thinking it might be less fun (but more wet) in November.  

And it could easily accessorize for that evil genius science fiction look.



No comments: