Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Market Analysis

I've finally taken a critical look at a handful of stories from this one market that I can't seem to get stories into.  In the past I've mostly just read what they've published, with the occasional jaundiced eye (especially when they publish a list story).  Typically, when I get a "guess why we didn't buy your story" form rejection from this market is the time that they publish something stunning and brilliant.

Probably my biggest mistake is sending them stories over 1000 words.  They'll publish up to 1500 words, but a 400-800 word story is more likely. 

My second mistake is using too elevated diction (I like playing with cool words); I need to keep story diction a notch slightly above conversational unless I'm purposefully making fun of Ye Olde Speech.  The list stories might have "literary" word play and imagery, but the diction in them will still be conversational.

My third mistake is sending them sword and sorcery fantasy.  Although they publish fantasy, it feels like they have a sci-fi or near-future preference.  The fantasy they do publish seems to be urban fantasy or magical realism or fantasy poking fun at fantasy tropes.

From the sample stories I looked at, I'd say a common theme is "discovering someone (or something) is not what it first appeared to be," with connections to "what makes a person real?" and issues of social equality (i.e. dealing with some "-ism").   Another common theme is post-apocalyptic or a end-of-the-world setting.

Finally, the ending has to be strong, preferably with an epiphany -- oops, I mean a sudden discovery.




No comments: