Monday, January 28, 2019

Hummingbird Achievement Unlocked

Sunday was my dad's birthday.  He's thirty years older than I am, which means we celebrated his 54th birthday (hat tip to LGL for that math bon mot).  We had a quiet family gathering and lunch.  Afterward, Mark and The Child performed astounding magic card tricks.

My folks have a hummingbird feeder which they keep stocked year round.  Accordingly, they have some resident hummingbirds living around their house.  Over the last four months, I've tied to photograph one of the little guys who has a regular perch in a maple tree at the edge of a deck.  It turns out that the tree is just far enough away, the hummingbird is just twitchy enough, and my camera's auto-focus is just confused enough that I managed to get some artistic photographs of tree twigs with a fuzzy, bejeweled blur. 

This time, I decided to stake out the hummingbird feeder.  The feeder's resident champion hovered a challenge at me before deciding that I wasn't going to try to steal any sugar-water, and I managed to get a few shots, before it flew off to chase some rivals away.  While it was occupied, some of the other hummingbirds visited, and I took their photographs, too.

More here:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZVdnrxWsn9RGQvRv7


No comments: