Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Fine Lines

Went to the gym Monday.  210 cal and 20 minutes on the Nordic Elliptical.  13x(30+30+40)lbs on the deltoid fly.  13x(30+40+50)lbs on the pec fly.  14x(50+60+70)lbs on the lat pull-down.  3x13 curls on the Roman Chair.  3x13x35lbs barbell curls.  13x3x30lbs on the triceps pulldown.  3x10X5lbs lbs on a lat extension and forward lat extensions.

Writing -- Scrivener is giving me a low word count for Monday, probably because I was editing and took words out (or moved swathes of text to "research" (i.e. it's back story, or it's notes I wrote to myself.   Tuesday worked out so that I had a bunch of time to write (thanks Mark!) so I got about 2000 words (I think).  

Not that I want the entire novel to be filled with sex scenes, but I let myself work on what will probably be two intimate scenes (maybe two and a half, if you count the dialog).  On one hand, I don't want to write a rutting scene; but on the other hand, characters are sexual beings.  I want the language to be lyrical, but at the same time I'm pretty sure most lyrical-sex-people are lyrical before or after sex because it's hard during.  Anyway, it's a fine line between earthy and explicitly crude; between lyrical and euphemistic; and between satisfying the animal and the sublime. 

I'm reading Paladin of Souls, which I'm liking the language in.  The author is sparse with her setting description, which is a lesson I could learn from.  

No comments: