Sunday, March 04, 2018

Fantasy Time, Working Out, and Migraines

Wednesday night I sat down with the fantasy world's ephemeris and made a four-month calendar, marking down when the icy-white moon, Lustis, and the glowing ember moon, Hestus, were new and full, and when they switched places in their co-orbital dance in the sky.  I'd gathered from the numbers that Hestus, which is smaller and has the largest difference between its faster, inner orbit and its slower, outer one was moving much more quickly in the lower orbit--but seeing that its fast month is twice as fast as its slow month on a calendar is much more clear in a visual calendrical form than a table of moons' angles.


Went to the gym Thursday evening:  300? cal on the Nordic Eliptical.  3x13x30lbs deltiod fly.  13x(30+40+50) on the pec fly.  13x(50+60+70)lbs+5x80lbs on the lat pull-down.   3x13 curls on the Roman Chair.  3x12x30lbs barbell curls.  3x13x30 tricept pull-downs.  

Thursday night was a bust as far as writing went; I did some very minor edits and organization in Scrivener.  I forced myself up at 5:20 Friday morning to write some words... and continued with the very minor edits.  The session turned into research of the history of iron and steel, mostly because I wanted to know the relative hardness of various metals.  

At one point I was writing about a warning charm Vance the Sorcerer would wear, and saw in an earlier draft that he was wearing a ring--which was changed into a large iron ring on a necklace... but I'd left the necklace part out, so the ring at his breast was hanging there and my early-morning mind went to Protective Nipple Ring Magic.  Which isn't where I thought the Magic that Vance uses would go... and actually, there's a Barbarian Wolf-Priest lurking in later chapters, and I can totally imagine wolf-fang nipple piercing and the grizzled Wolf-Priest grunting about how the magic of the clan comes from the bite of the wolf over the heart, and how his mother wore the wolf-fang he wears now -- and the next thing I knew I was reading about how you have to keep your new piercing clean for about six months to avoid infection and how some nipples go permanently numb after a piercing... but then I was back on the high plateau with Grundar the 40-something greying Wolf-Priest, talking about when his Mother bathed him in the icy waterfall in high summer before summoning the guardian wolf-pack that works with the clan to accept him as the new Wolf Priest (or eat him).  

Friday night got a little writing in and then colored dots of a migraine aura began to blur out parts of my vision.  I'm fairly lucky that the migraines I get aren't particularly painful, but they do make doing anything like reading or writing difficult.  Also, they do make my eyes ache as if they were not quite the right size for their sockets.

Saturday, I felt plain off and slightly nauseous,  so not much of anything.  Mark had something similar, so I'm thinking we caught some kind of bug.  

No comments: