Monday, August 21, 2023

Dream Selfies

John looking bemused.
The dream was in progress; events had been happening in a in a cabin, but I don't recall them.  I started out talking with a guy -- I want to say he was in his 30s or 40s. I'm not sure where we got a blob of lava, a fist-sized blob glowing yellow and orange, but through the magic of dream plot it was available. I decided that I would use the lava to make tea.  I had a vessel, a kind of large snifter, made of clear thick glass.    The lava was boiling water in the snifter for my tea.  

There was a dream shift and I was in a large lake, or possibly an ocean.  Below me in the water was the large snifter and the lava blob.  I don't remember how I was able to bring the glass to the surface of the water, but somehow I did.  There was a sense that I was still making tea in the snifter with the lava, and that the snifter was containing the heat of the lava.   


As I looked down through the water, I saw a group of people swimming, almost as if they were flying.  One of them was in a trench coat and carried a stereotypical black English umbrella in his left hand.  It was P.G. I must have called to him, because P.G. came up to the surface.  We might have had a short discussion along the lines of "Look, I'm making tea."


I decided I wanted to post a selfie of myself making tea in a large snifter with lava. I placed the glass on a convenient near floating table.  My cousin, J.S. was suddenly there, floating in an inter-tube, and we had a short conversation along the lines of "Look, I'm making tea with lava."  My phone was suddenly available and I called up the camera function.


The sun was beginning to set, and it cast red-gold light along the water.  I don't recall if the selfie ever got taken before the dream moved on to other things.


---


In the second dream, all I remember was that we were at some sort of ocean side resort.  It was twilight, and I was on some concrete steps overlooking the ocean, leading up from the dunes with a bunch of other (random dream) people. We looked up and there was a missile coming straight at us—it just hung in the sky, getting larger and larger as it hurtled closer. I threw myself to the landing of the steps and covered my head.


Through dream-perspective, I watched the missile, which was about the size of a table, whiz over our heads and crash into the beach below.   Mostly sand exploded up into the air; it was loud, but probably not a loud as a real attack missile would have been.


The sky was dark blue and orange, and the missile was a dark lump near a large puddle of water on the beach.  I decided that I wanted to post a selfie to social media, so I took out my phone.  While I was composing a picture of myself along the steps and dunes, in the phone's screen I saw a man reflected in the puddle.  This was alarming, and I turned around to see him directly; he wasn't there, and I concluded that I'd seen myself in the reflection (in waking life, I'm not sure how this could be, as I would have seen the reflection of the back of my head).  


I woke up thinking that I'd dreamed about posting selfies to social media twice.

No comments: