Thursday, July 08, 2021

Hieroglyph Flashcards

As part of my Intro to Hieroglyphs class, I've made some flashcards as a memory aid to the uniliteral phonetic hieroglyphs used during the Middle Kingdom period in Egypt.  Between visits to the MET and various books I've picked up over the years, I seem to have about half of them memorized already.  For the ones that I don't know, I've had to make up little stories to remember their sounds.  




๐“„ก  is a mammal's belly (and tail), and makes the "ch" sound in the German word, "ich;" so I had to come up with the rhyme, "We want a pitcher, not a belly "ich"-er.   Not to be confused with

๐“ฟ which is a rope hobble, and makes a "tch" sound, like in "itch."  

๐“ is something Egyptologists debate (is it a loaf of bread or a placenta?), and makes the "ch" sound in the word "loch", so I pretend this is Nessie's (the Loch Ness Monster's) eye.  

๐“‚  looks like a Boston valet's arm and hand as they offer to "park the car", and it makes the ayin sound, which is broad "a" sound.

I'm not sure if I have a favorite hieroglyph.  It would be something like ๐“€† (to purify?) or ๐“‡ฝ (star) or ๐“‡ฑ(night?) or  ๐“‡ฐ(storm?)  or ๐“†ˆ (a gecko) or ๐“†ฃ (scarab; to manifest ,to become)


I'll have to make flashcards for bilateral and trilateral signs next.

No comments: