Sunday, February 21, 2021

Small Stellated Dodecahedron

 

 

 

The latest adventure in not writing playing with graphics is a stellated dodecahedron.  Someone posted a picture of a marble floor mosaic from the Basilica of St Mark.  I'd seen it before, and I decided that I could probably copy it.  So I dug out my compass and ruler, constructed a pentagram, and went forward from there.






I switched to InkScape once I saw how the design is basically pentagonal rotations.



and added some etching lines.

 

I'm not sure which version works the best.  I like the etching lines--especially when the design is viewed from a distance, but I think the solid colors work better because the optical illusion of the triangle placement makes it look like I used more than six shades of grey.  



No comments: