Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Reorienting To Writing

I've arisen early to write.  Well, maybe not so early.  And maybe it's blogging, but at least that is working with words.  

My writing has slowed down and I need to take steps to crank it back up.  I'll skip the excuses, and say that I'll have to be more disciplined both with and when I work with words so that I can increase my daily word count and stay engaged with the specific piece I'm working on.

I've currently got (counts) eight flash or short story pieces that are stuck, and a score of three-paragraph story stalls.   Stepping back, they're very long on description and character mood, but short on conflict and character choice.   They're vignettes or almost poems.  My old self would write "More Ninjas!" in red pen on the manuscript.   I think this is what happens when one doesn't budget enough daily time to write and keeps returning to start-up exercises.  

The other strategy is putting a screen limit on social media; my phone makes it too easy to nip in and the next thing I know I'm either doom-scrolling or schauden-scrolling.  

No comments: