Monday, January 25, 2021

Pre Ides of Winter Moon


 The Ides of Winter are soon.   As I was walking home from the grocery store, the moon and the clouds were all lit up with various hues of grey and blue, with a little bit of purple and red.  I wish I could have caught it on camera.  The moon seemed so much bigger, and the clouds more like a shell with the sunlight shining through them.  The whole sky appeared to be pausing between steps of a very slow dance.

After sunset, the moon shone in the middle of two rainbow halos for a minute before the clouds thickened and drew across the moon's face.  There were too many clouds to see Aldebaran or the Pleiades, which the moon visited two days ago.  

There's been talk of snow, but the actual snow levels are higher than the projected ones.  It is seasonal, especially if we're traveling to a weekend birthday celebration for my father, for there to be a thick coating of black ice on I-5 or for two feet of snow to besiege my folks' house.  Since his birthday is in the middle of the week, Oregon is spared (for now).

No comments: