Sunday, November 18, 2018

Sunday Mid-November

We're only four weeks away from the Winter Solstice and that means that twilight (at least in our back yard) starts at 3:30 pm.  If we were on the west side of the hill, it would be a different story.  Yesterday, I took a quick catnap around 2 and the shadow of the telephone pole fell across my face, and then by 2:30 the sunlight was stealing out of the yard.  It's not  that the sun has left the sky so much as it's only about twenty degrees above the horizon until official sunset.  I think I'm glad we don't live in Seattle or Northern Washington or Norway or Iceland, because the daylight hours would be shorter.

The child and I went to see Bohemian Rhapsody today.  In was interesting, with some funny moments, and I think the Evil Boyfriend's character progression was done well.  It was long, but I didn't notice that much.  I think the movie could have been a little faster, but the pace was okay.  I learned a few things about Queen and Freddie Mercury that I hadn't known.  Being late or on time seemed to be a theme, as was family.  The sex and drugs aspects of the movie were fairly sanitized, and thinking about it, the actor playing Freddie was wearing more clothing during the male-male kisses than he was during the scene where he proposed to his wife. 

On the gym front:  I managed to hit the gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday last week, doing the usual:  The elliptical thing for about 25 minutes, followed by a sideways elliptical machine .  The machines report 250-300 calories burned.   Downstairs a typical routine is 12x(50+60+70lbs) on the lat pulldown, 3x12 Roman Chair curl-ups, 3x12x10lbs combination of 45degree inclined 10lb dumbbell presses and dumbell flies, interspersed with 8x10lbs dumbbell curls.  If I have enough time and my joints feel okay, I'll add 5lbs dumbbell side-and-front arm raises (usually about eight each).  End with 12x(20+30+30lb) triceps pull-downs.  Wednesday, someone had replaced the triceps pull-down bar with a rope, which bothered my elbows... also, the incline bench was in use, so I was feeling my pectorals on Thursday. 

No comments: