Thursday, September 20, 2018

Moon Conjunct Mars


Wednesday night the Moon and Mars were conjunct.

I ran out and took several photographs. 

The camera has a pretty good pre-setting for the moon, but when you try to use it to take photos of the moon and anything else, the moon washes everything out.

So... to get a more balanced photo, I have to manually set the camera for infinity focus, the F-stop to F8, and play with the shutter speed.  Usually 1/5 to about 1/20 of a second will come out with an interesting shot... although the moon will still wash everything out. 

At the moment, the moon's above the ecliptic... which seems odd, because I thought it was pretty close to its north ascending node -- I guess I'll have to look up where that is.  Or... maybe Mars is below the ecliptic and the Moon is on it.   In any case, they're about three finger-widths apart.





No comments: