Monday, January 21, 2019

Dead Keyboard & Secret Things

Thursday.  I'm trying to write between dropping The Child off at an event and picking him up.  The difficulty is that the venue he's at is at the other side of town, about as far away as one can get from our house (and suitable cafes) and still be within city limits.

Of course when I did get somewhere to write, I discovered that I forgot to turn off the keyboard and now its batteries are dead.  Bother.  

Oh well, time to write longhand ...  and doing so has me thinking about identity and revealed identity.  There are some things that I don't write on this blog, and the act of writing them longhand is good in a confessional sort of way and it means they aren't sitting on a computer somewhere waiting to be Googled.  On the other hand, keeping private things private brings up issues of when does one cross over the line from being circumspect to being closeted or repressed or socially invisible?

Also, if shared stories bind a community together, than shared secrets do so even more.  How many times have you retreated to a corner somewhere with a confidant, and whispered, "I found a safe place, and I did a secret thing" ?   It doesn't have to be something that challenges a deep-seated taboo:  it could be boys or men playing with "action figures" or listening to Lawrence Welk or whatever.

Ah well.

Monday.  This morning is partly cloudy, with occasional sunlight.  We need the rain, but it was really too bad that last night was so cloudy that we missed being able to see the Jan 20 lunar eclipse.

On the gym front:  went to the gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

Warming up with dumbbells, then ...

3x12x20lbs dumbell presses
3x12x20lbs dumbell rows
3x12x45lbs barbell press
3x12x45lbs barbell row
3x12x15lbs low cable fly
3x12x5lbs low back cable fly
3x12x25lbs barbell inline overhead triceps extension
3x12x25lbs barbell incline hanging bicep curl
3x12x30lbs rope triceps extension
3x12x20lbs overhead rope bicep curl

I think there's been results -- and I still haven't actually taken any biceps measurements.  Perhaps I can talk Mark into getting out his tape measure or I can start taking some of those weekly selfie shots with my shirt off and a skimpy towel.  Or a thong!

I've decided that I've been doing the standing cable crunch completely wrong, so I've gone back to hanging Roman Chair curls.  I recently started some cable twists to work my core, we'll see how that works.  I've also scheduled another session with my trainer to go over form, and it sounds like he wants to add a few other things.

Taking a rest day today and will return Wednesday.    

No comments: