Sunday, September 02, 2018

Grand Central Terminal Dragons


I'm not sure why these dragons are along the hallway of Grand Central Terminal.  I suspect biting their own tails makes them a ouroboros symbol.  Perhaps the building designer wanted to remind train passengers of eternity, or it's a joke about "eternity's halls."

The dragons are also intertwined with each other, so maybe it's a statement about how all things are connected... maybe a pun on making train connections?

I like the way their teeth look like zippers opening.  I like the use of circles in the composition, and how the neck arc balanced out the arc of the wings.

I'm not sure why the designer added a man and horse.  It looks like he might be saddling the horse, but on closer inspection, he appears to be grooming the horse's mane.

If I were going to take these pictures again, I'd want a light source about twenty degrees forward in the plane of the carving and at about the four-thirty position.   I suppose there's lamps on selfie-sticks out there...






Now that I've been back home for forty-eight hours, I have the usual post-vacation travel observations:

  • The air (pollen? ash? mold?) in the Willamette Valley gives me congestion and bothers my eyes.  This makes me tired.
  • Something makes my skin itch (see above, plus stress?); I suspect I've developed a nervous habit of scratching my forearms between bouts of typing.
  • Ergonomics at workstations are important, and also hourly stretch breaks.
  • I need to look at my tea habit, because I should probably replace one of the giant mugs of tea with something like a serving of carrots.  Or hot water.
  • Chocolate makes me fart.  Probably early-morning rationing would help me not bolt so much when I snack.
  • I should replace the grazing on almonds, craisins, chocolate, and tea at work with a more regular snack lunch of a tuna-lettuce wrap -- because I think this would improve my alertness.


No comments: