Sunday, August 19, 2018

Moon and Writing

I've been going to the gym this last week.  Alas, the four extra pounds that I picked up during my absence are sticking around.  I've been avoiding the machines downstairs to keep from straining my shoulders and elbows, slicking to about 30 minutes on the elliptical and about fifteen on the seated cable row machine (set to 5 our of 10 resistance level).   I will have to ease into some free-weight work.












I wrote a short, 1000 word essay and edited it yesterday.  After sharing it, it's possible that I've been less motivated to write lately because Ursula Le Guin, Dianna Rodgers, and Kate Wilhelm died in the first part of 2018.  Okay, and other reasons, too; mostly dealing with various Deadly Sins and poor semi-colon, colon, and em-dash usage (I'm re-reading Fowler on stops). 







In other news, I've continued to photograph the moon.  What's most interesting to me is how the moon's terminator picks out details of different craters as it sweeps along; individual features creeping into the sharply contrasted light recede into a grey-scale texture by the next day.  I will have to re-aquatint myself with some of the more prominent craters and mountains, because I think the only ones I can name are Aristarchus and the Bay of Rainbows. 




I visited my folks yesterday.  The picture I took of all of us looks absolutely dreadful I'll share better photos of us when I take one.  In the meantime, have a lotus. 


No comments: