Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Tuesday Morning Musings

I woke up Tuesday morning at three and couldn't get back to sleep for the longest time.  Sometimes when I wake up, I can go back to sleep if I imagine invoking the four quarters and protective circle.  This time I got out of bed so I wound't wake Mark, and went out and joined the dog on the couch.  Part of what was keeping me up were thoughts about how I don't feel writerly enough, or gay enough, or NeoPaganly enough.  I think part of this stems from not being able to physically gather with peers and mentors.  A character-driven plot begins when the protagonist is dissatisfied with their life and ends when they A) make changes or B) resign themselves to their situation.  After an hour, I did manage to fall asleep.

Lately I've been RollerBlading up at the reservoir, the top is about two city blocks by a half-block wide, which means I can get a long gliding runs in.  The place is popular with other skaters, small children and their bikes, and martial artists.  Previously to RollerBlading there, I would only go for astronomy.  I'm hoping that if I can continue to go, it will be like a workout, and I'll get some of my muscle tone back (or at least lose a little bit of the belly that's crept back).  

Over the weekend I purchased a foliate head.  I've been wanting a traditional looking one for a while and just happened to find this one at a local store (they have lots of garden art, but they tend to focus on Buddha or gnomes or Quan Yin or winged pigs).  I found a place in the grape vines for it, but I think what it really needs is a stone column in the hedge to peer out from.  Perhaps in the next few weeks I can make a kind of Ides of Autumn altar with it.


No comments: