Mark came back from visiting his family on the East Coast. One of his brothers lives near Monticello, and when this adjustable magnifier was spotted in the gift shop, the response was "That's totally a John Thing™."
For those of you unfamiliar with the concept of a John Thing™ this wins because it's
- got moving parts
- raison d'être is interactive
- has a historical connection
- got a Jules Verne feel to it
- the sort of thing you'd find at Café John
- a good prop for a savant character in a play
And, most importantly, it's a love gift.