Thursday, February 27, 2014

Grandma's Travel Bracelet Scarab

Here's a picture of a scarab that is a charm on my Grandmother's travel bracelet.  I'm pretty sure she got it when she went to Egypt in the mid 1960's (during a family tour).  Back then, when you went on trip, you found a local charm bracelet store and got something local to remember your visit by.

Travel charm bracelets were out of fashion by the time the 70's rolled around, so I never actually saw her wear hers.  I wish I had, and I wish if I had I would have been aware enough to ask her about each charm.  Now, whenever a photo (or the actual bracelet) comes out, we sort of do a rosary around the charms, which feels more like a table of contents than an actual story:  "This is the scarab she got in Egypt. This is the Hagia Sophia when we were in Turkey.  This is a Neapolitan Horseman..."

No comments: