Thursday, February 04, 2016

Writing Difficult Characters

The time of the Ides of Winter is a rough time.  I'm restless, but not energized.  I can feel the light returning, but I'm not waking up the way I'd like to.  I'm disenchanted with my writing.  And my hair is more irritating than usual, with the result that I want to cut it all back to an eighth of an inch.

Working out:  missed a session Monday, so I went Tuesday after Wordos.  25 minutes on the elliptical for 250 calories (and read a manuscript).  About 5 minutes on the rowing machine for about 60 calories.  Still easing into the dips and chins, 3X6 three times, increasing the weight each time.  Joked with B about the gym's music when Supertramp's "Logical Song" started playing (which is better than "Dreamer", but not by much).  I could stand the music better if they did a rotation out of the 60's and 70's.  Downstairs, 3x12x40 lbs on the pec fly.  12x70 + 2x80lbs on the lat pull-down.  By this time it was pushing 10 PM, so I left early.

Writing:  I am working on a piece with a character who is upset enough with the return of Faeries that he wants to blow up their hollow hill.  It's difficult getting into his head, and I don't want to make him a characature of Ammon Bundy . . . or Timothy McVeigh.  I some ways it might be easier to imply his character through the eyes of his daughter, whom I've started the story with.  I'm getting through this by channelling some of my inner-Eugene-morning-commute grump, and also reminding myself that the villain is always the hero in his or her own head.  The trick will be keeping the story tight and under 5000 words.


No comments: