Writing: Sunday, I opted out of a ski-trip and wrote. I'm working on a piece for On The Premises, and I'd been SimpleNoting various scenes and POV's and ideas. I gathered them together in Scrivener, sorted through the chaff, and had a little under 1000 words of very rough draft (about twice that if you count dead-ends and explorations). By the end of two hours I concluded that this was more of an editing session than a writing session, that I needed to choose the story's POV character, and that I needed a third character.
The story is set in Eugene, with magical creatures, and originally, I was calling them Elves or the Fey. But I wondered what English Fey would be doing in Oregon, and felt they should be different somehow. I didn't want to make them First Nations Kachinas -- wrong area, for one -- and I didn't want to appropriate Raven or Coyote or Wolf. I don't want to call them Devas or Kami or Numina, and I'm thinking I may compromise and simply call them the Folk. Which means I need to call where they live something other than "Elfhame" ... but "Folkhame" sounds wrong somehow.
I knew the magical character would be a helper to the daughter character in the story... and I got stuck every time I started to write her. It wasn't until I sat down and started sketching various goblin-esque characters until I saw her. And now I have a handle on her.