Thursday, December 11, 2014

Jounal: Writing About Love (and Sex)

Work-out:  160 calories in about 15 minutes on the rowing machine.  Plus weights; I got a pointer on doing a torso twist the right way (one handed, pulling with hand instead of bracing with both) and I started doing some tricepts curls... which I think I can feel this morning.

Writing:  About 45 minutes of writing.  I broke up next week's story into ten sections and sort of outlined what I want to do.  

The "Fifty Shades of Gay" flash piece I wrote got rejected.  I think I'm relieved -- I have a feeling that in terms of literature it's a little flat (although I did put character development into it), and in terms of erotica it's too vague (because I was sending it to a literary market, not a smut market).  I need to look at it and contrast and compare it with the last two pieces I've run through the Wordos table.  All three have had an element of sexual tension in them.  I'd intended for the two Wordos pieces to be funny in a Three's Company kind of way, but the first one creeped a few people out, and the second one got mixed reviews.  

One thing I've learned is that I'm not speaking to readers' belief or rule-set -- they don't accept that a story element is magic, they want to know how and why it works.   The other thing is that I want to explore themes of sex, love, attraction, desire, lust and modes of being, and I haven't yet figured out a way to disarm the lines of taboo around these in a way that preserves the story.

No comments: