Here's a follow-up photo to yesterday's post showing what the eggs look like before I dye them.
I use a craft cutter to cut thin strips or squares of painter's tape. For the stars, I used a star-punch. I had the best results holding the tape taut with the sticky side down; this allowed me to lightly touch the punched out tape and lift it out of the punch. I still had a bunch of tape occasionally stick in the punch, and I'm not sure I'd recommend this technique for intricate shapes.
I've been playing with star shapes long enough to know that the easiest placement starts at one end of the egg and works down toward its widest area.
Once the tape was in place, I used the back of my fingernail to insure there were no lose spots and then dyed the egg.
I air-dried the eggs for about fifteen minutes so that I wouldn't smudge the designs with wet tape.
After they dried, I peeled back the tape.