Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Writing Progress: Focus on the Character

Whew.

Yesterday was a writing night.  It was like pulling teeth.  If I hadn't been away from the house, I think I would have found something else to do.  But instead I typed "It was a dark and stormy night" a few times and "I hate this writing" a few more and the words started to come out.

Most of it was story related.  After some consideration and discussion, the story length that wants to come out is probably a novella.  This would be fine, except that I'm aiming for a 2000 to 3000 word short story for Sword and Sorceress.  That and--despite making an outline--I've started the story about four chapters too early (so much for that street fight scene).

Oh well:  Write now, edit later.

The chant for the next few days is going to be "focus on the character" to remind myself not to get bogged down in the world-building stuff like maps, and magic systems, and the German language, and what would life in a magical nun's convent be like, and ...

No comments: