Friday, May 27, 2011

First Attempt at Cover Photos

I started out with this. It's wrong because the image says, "Tea!"  Which would be fine, except the story isn't about tea.  Also, the title is too small and the author's name is way too small.






So it was time to work on a new cover. One that said, "Mask Glass Magic!"  I had a design idea, so I assembled the appropriate Visually Interesting Props. 





I fiddled around with the shadow theatre. And this photo says "Theatre!" Or possibly "Shades of Milk and Honey."  The other question is, how does this look on a Kindle screen?






This was the image I was aiming for. I can see I'll have to try again. But, while it's a cool image, it's also a confusing one seen up close and I should look at it through a black and white filter to get a feel for how it would translate to the Kindle or Nook.  It's possible I'd get more mileage if it were zoomed in really close.







Well. It says "Mask" and it says "Glass." I think it also screams "Amature!"  And, looking at this again after a rest, it also says, "Shampoo."  Sigh.  Back to photographing -- good thing the camera batteries are recharged.

Oh. Writing. Right, back to writing....

3 comments:

Ryffnah said...

The mask reflected in the other mask is a neat idea, but definitely too visually confusing.

The shadow is very spiffy. And, I think the cover you started with might actually be fine. I mean, it definitely doesn't say "Tea!" to me... 'cause, I can't actually tell what that object is. It looks, possibly, like a candle-holder? Basically, from my perspective, it looks indistinguishable enough that, given the title, I would just assume it's a weird magicky tool thingy.

John said...

Thanks... I might use my first image for the "John Anthology" eBook.

The picture is a close-up of loose tea (rooibos and orange zest) steeping in a tea infuser with a celestial rim. The reflection is off of steeping tea. The edge of the (mondo) tea mug is running along the left edge of the photograph.

Maybe it says "Tea!" to me because, well - I drink a lot of tea.

Ryffnah said...

Ah... I can see that now. I also drink a lot of tea, but I don't have an infuser that looks anything like that one. So, without the explanation, I was at a loss.

(By the way, Ryffnah = Mary from Wordos.)