My quick and dirty description of Girl Genius is...
- Film The Wizard of Oz on the set of Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang (painted by Alphonse Maria Mucha).
- Have Caractacus Potts in the Role of the Wizard, played by Jack Nicholson -- or, better yet, Stalin.
- No; wait, have Dr Victor Von Frankenstein in the Role of the Wizard -- er, I mean Stalin.
- Substituting for Dorothy is Tank Girl, played by Very Busty Emma Watson.
- Instead of Flying Monkeys, think vaguely Germanic, comic-relief Klingons.
- Multiply the Winkies (the singing, pike-toting guards of the Witch's castle) a few times and put them into slightly kinky leather harnesses.
So, it's sort of like a softer-core Heavy Metal with more gallows humor, prat falls, and clothing. Oh, and more wind-up toys.