Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Cape Blanco Photos

The other week we went to Cape Blanco. The Cape Blanco lighthouse is one of the highest lighthouses on the west coast.

In this photo, the sky is clear, but the previous afternoon, the heat in-land, 95F, drew the moist sea air inland and created a bank of fog so think the lighthouse was not visible from the visitors' parking lot.






The steps were very steep.

And modular.

We were asked not to touch the bricks as we climbed.

I kept waiting for the cast of Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to pop out somewhere, pose dramatically, and start singing.





I took many pictures of the lens and light assembly. I like this one because it reminds me of an old drawing of the solar system or an atomic structure. Or magnetic field lines.

The original light would have been a flame fueled by (if I remember correctly) clarified lard. Turning the light off involved letting everything cool down slowly to prevent breaks. If the air temperature got too cold, the fuel would begin to solidify (I think it became jelly-like).

No comments: