Tuesday, July 09, 2019

Three Husbands and Photography

f/81/16024.1mmISO100
The other day Mark said, "We need to get you three husbands.  A sensible, down-to earth husband; that's me.  A husband who will take you out dancing.  And a third one for something else."

ƒ/5.61/60125mmISO100
I silently mused on what kind of third husband I would want... a writing husband?  I kind of didn't want a writing husband because I don't want a collaborator; and I've put some distance between Mark and my writing process in the aim of keeping our relationship uncomplicated.  A clothes shopping husband?  Mark hates shopping (phrases like "torture me" come up) and I love trying things on with other people.  A concubine husband?  As much fun as the theatre of having a concubine husband could be, it seems like it would detract from the primary relationship... and do I really want to be the sort of person who objectifies a trophy-spouse (Cue Patsy Stone saying, "No. You mustn't.  It is....forbidden.")?  Maybe I'd have a Rabbinical-Pagan Husband for dream analysis and ritual critique?   And I wondered how exhausting it would be to have three husbands--the polyamorous folks I know have to work really hard to make multi-spouse marriages work. 

After a moment of frantically shuffling all these thoughts, I said to Mark, "But what about you?  What kind of husbands would you want? You've already got the goofy-tech husband."

ƒ/4.51/25046.4mmISO100
"Oh," he said.  "I'd have two empty slots for 'Leave Me Alone' husbands."




ƒ/4.51/40030.3mmISO100
In other news, I fiddled with the manual settings on my camera.  I re-discovered that I had turned on the manual focus control for one of the camera's more accessible switches.  Then I played with the shutter speed and f-stop.  I also made a little picture of the relationship between f-stop, shutter speed, and depth of field.   Most of the time, my camera does a pretty good job with automatic settings, but the auto-focus does have a tendency to focus on a twig in front of a bird or the trees behind a flower instead of what I want to take a picture of. 

I would say the auto-settings choose a middle-of-the-road aperture and shutter speed, which means the contrast in the photo can come out flat and slightly washed out, and the colors not quite as saturated.  Anyway, more to learn as I try to level-up.

Went to the gym Monday night (7/8).

















No comments: