Saturday, July 13, 2019

Poppies Revisited

ƒ/41/6022.3mmISO360
A couple of weeks ago, we discovered we had poppies growing in one of our beds.  I always liked the tons of poppies our former land-ladies grew (orange, red, white, and yellow).  Mark doesn't remember planting these and we think they might be volunteers.









ƒ/41/6022.3mmISO320


Our poppies came out a mauve color.  The buds' protective sheathe would pop off in the morning, and the blooms would furl open.  There were four opposite petals, which would last about a day before falling off.










ƒ/4.51/10046.4mmISO400



About every other day, another bud's stem would straighten, the sheathe would open, and a new bloom open.






ƒ/3.51/20010.7mmISO100






I thought it was cool that there were only four petals.  Most of the flowers I'm familiar with have three or six; apples and roses have five.









ƒ/4.51/6035.7mmISO220



What I didn't notice was that the seed head has a nine-fold radial symmetry.






ƒ/4.51/6035.7mmISO100



We had about ten days of the blooming cycle.  This provided many opportunities for photography.  I suppose if we had more plants I could have cut a few more blooms, put on some robes and twisted sheets and shot some wildly allegorical photos (Morphius and His Cat, Death Drinking Tea, "Poppies Will Make Them Sleep").  I do occasionally get Sting's "Children's Crusade" stuck in my head, though.




ƒ/4.51/25046.4mmISO100



Eventually, all the flowers had bloomed and dropped their petals.  I am not sure, but I think the seed heads would balloon out a little to a more spherical shape, then contract at the base.





ƒ/4.51/10030.3mmISO100




I knew they would develop little holes, but I couldn't remember if they would be in or just below the crown shape at the top.








ƒ/51/80071.4mmISO100

After about a four or seven days, we discovered the holes at the base of the crown.  The stems turned yellow and brittle a few days later.  Mark and The Child removed a seed head and scattered a few seeds in various places (our yard's soil chemistry is wonky, so who knows if anything will sprout).





ƒ/81/48.4mmISO100


Mark also bisected the head, which is when we realized the interior is nine-fold.  I cut open a few more and dragged out the camera to try to document in interior structure.  I should have included a ruler for scale.





ƒ/81/410.7mmISO100



The seeds, I think, form on the inside ribs of the seed head and eventually fall off into the chambers.






ƒ/81/210.7mmISO100



The inside had about a half teaspoon of seeds, which I scattered along the side of the house and around the Sphinx.  Fingers crossed that the soil works.

No comments: