Friday, July 05, 2019

Early July

Thursday (7/4):  Spent the day with the folks; we went early for a picnic lunch and family chats.  It was just us and my parents.  Mark and I harvested some raspberries.  We spent some time in the pool, and I made a point of doing laps because I hadn't gone to the gym Wednesday.  Probably the most excitement was when my Mom and I discovered some bats flying from their roost between a gutter and some fascia near a hummingbird feeder (that doesn't look like a ruby-throat to me....).   It occurs to me that The Child did not hold a mandatory piano recital.

Friday (7/5):  Kind of a lazy day.  The Child has discovered "Monk," a detective series from the 90's, and I got pulled into it (I think it came out when I was at Arcosanti or after, and didn't have a television).  It's interesting how the writers use details to move the show along--although there's not too many red herrings, so the show becomes more about how the titular character is going to figure out the case and less about who committed the murder.   

Worked on a short story for about two hours; the narrator's parents have hijacked the story and I need to tone back the father and make his hang-ups more in line with what I want the story's theme to be about.  I've been writing on the deck, which is working out fairly well (although I think some visiting kids were shrieking at each other at one point... and the afternoon pollen seems to be bothering my eyes by the end of the day).  

The Child had a slumber party at a friends, and Eugene was holding it's monthly First Friday Artwalk, so Mark and I went on a kind of date.  I was hoping to see some cute prints of moon phases over some mountains, but the gallery they were supposedly in did have them on display.  Mark was a little tired, so his filter wasn't on, and I'm afraid we were both underwhelmed by the art we saw.  I did like a salmon bronze, (Mark thought it was too representational) and some bronze swimming otters (also representation, but at least the otters had a relationship with each other).  There were some technically well done sketches of birds, dogs, and people, but nothing I'd want to have hanging in the house.  A lot of what we saw reminded me of the industrial pieces from my days walking past the "Is It Art Yet?" Building at Reed College.  I'm trying to decide if we looked like frumpy fifty-somethings in apparel from a 90's hippy thrift shop, and I'd like to hope that we tried harder. 

Afterward, I went to the gym and did the regular routine.  

No comments: