Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Dragonfly Season


Monday I was feeling grumpy, so I didn't go to the gym.  I can't quite put my finger on why I felt grumpy, which is a little disconcerting because it's full moon, not new moon, and the Summer Solstice and all its attendant daylight is right around the corner, so I can't blame the short daylight hours.  I'm thinking maybe I should blame the pollen count.  Or maybe sleeping poorly because of the 95F weather.  Or maybe I'm wishing Eugene and my life was more fabulous.  
I did go to the gym Wednesday (6/19) and Saturday last (6/15) and managed the usual routine.  So I'm not a total slacker. 

The season of Dragonfly Hunting has begun.  The other day Cicero was worrying something in the ground and I rescued a damaged dragonfly--a skimmer of some sort--from a protracted torture session.  I don't know if he'd caught it mid-air, or if a bird had pecked it, but it seemed deflated.  I thought it might recover, and tried to give it a branchey perch, but my efforts did not help.
At my folks' house last weekend, we saw spiketails, a window skimmer, and either a flame skimmer or an autumn meadowhawk.  

Currently, (Wednesday night), I'm writing this under the deck pavilion.  It's breezy and about 68F.  The pavilion is nice, but it does require extra effort to see the night sky.  I think it's worth it, though, because the deck is pleasantly shaded during the hot part of the day.   The pavilion seems, if not rain-proof, at least rain-resistant.  

I've been halfheartedly wanting to photograph the moon and Jupiter ... but the combination of having the best shots happen at midnight, and the partially cloudy skies have had me sitting back and simply appreciating the bright dance in the sky when I glimpse it through clouds and branches.
Writing has been hard, lately.  


No comments: