Friday, March 15, 2019

Andre Norton and Dreams

I just finished a new (to me at least) Andre Norton novel, "Scent of Magic," (written in 1998).  It was a fun, light read, and it reminded me of "Catseye" (1961).   I was reading for fun, but I was also lightly paying attention to how she jumped from point-of-view within chapters.   I think if I were going to do a homage or pastiche, I'd need to write about a young person, who is a member of a family/clan that has fallen from grace/privilege, working in an oppressive work place, who discovers and is aided by really smart animals, becomes the protege of someone with Old Knowledge, and is drawn into a centuries-old struggle between otherworldly Good and ancient Evil.   Extra points for blending tech, telepathy, and magic.

I think a side effect of reading for pleasure is that I'm remembering my dreams more.  Since I build pictures in my head as I read, I'm guessing that part of my brain is primed and ready for more when I sleep.  I dreamt Mark and I were trying to have a conjugal moment, but continued instances of no privacy -- one involving a after-show parade of 1920's flappers straight from a theatrical review -- prevented us.

No comments: