Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Who's a Good Hell-Beast?

This dog gargoyle lives on 70th Street in New York, near Amsterdam Street.  The Knights of Pyhias Temple is next door.  I always think of our NY friend, LGL, when I see this, partially because he lives in the area, but mostly because of the incident over a decade ago when we were at (the now defunct) Cafe Motzart and watched a New Yorker pull the back bumper off of her car as she angled into a parking spot, then nonchalantly toss it into her trunk.
I think this is a winter creature, probably because it's made of some dark material, and because there's no accompanying foliage with it.  It's playful--in a fierce kind of way--and I imagine that it's playing with the ball it's perched on. But, it's also easy to imagine it lifting its head on some moonlit night and howling between the high-rise alleys. 

I'm thinking I should have stood directly underneath it and taken its picture as it peered over the edge of its perch.  Ah well, I suppose that's a photo for another visit.

No comments: