Friday, September 07, 2018

Patience the Lion

Mark thinks the New York Public Library Main Branch Lion looks smug.

I'm not so sure.  Pleased, regal, proud; yes.  Smug?  Maybe.

I think if I were a lion guarding the entrance to a library I would look this way.  Maybe this lion is looking at the patrons and thinking which ones might be the tastiest -- I wonder if the librarians tell younger readers to be sure to observe due dates because the lion stretches out at nights and roams the streets of New York City to hunt out overdue books.

We were hurrying along when I took this photo, so I didn't have a chance to see if this lion has another lion or lioness (or cubs) to hang out with.   After some quick research, I've discovered that there are two male lions; this one is Patience (at least I think this is the southern lion).   Fortitude is the northern lion.  New Yorkers like them, and it appears they are garlanded and wreathed and dressed in top hats during galas. 

...Apparently, someone's written a story where they eat a librarian.... 

No comments: