Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Vancouver, Washington

Last night I was hoping to see the crescent moon next to Venus.  The smoke from various fires -- I'm not sure if the haze was from British Columbia or California -- obscured Venus completely and turned the moon into a ribbon of orange rind. 


Over the weekend we visited some friends in Vancouver, Washington.  I had some time, so I wandered around the old downtown.  I didn't visit the old Bell Exchange Building, mostly because I can never quite remember where it is.  I managed to get a close-up of a stone lion's face (see Aug 11's photos), which when I showed a local resident expressed surprise that it was there (just two blocks away from her shop).

I strolled by the city's fish bell tower, and took some obligatory bronze salmon statue photos.  The downtown park features a house from the 1880's, similar to Eugene's Shelton McMurphy house, and I took a few pictures, but the lighting wasn't the best and there was a huge beer-garden party going on in the park with unaesthetic cyclone fencing all around everything and lending an air of internment camp to the day.  Only with 80's rock.

What I like best about old houses like this is the detail work around the locks and door nobs and nooks.


No comments: