Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Progress and Setbacks

Went to the gym Monday.  300 calories on the Nordic Elliptical.  3x13x30lbs on the deltoid fly.  13x(30+40+50)lbs on the pec fly.  13x(50+60+70)lbs on the lat pulldown.  3x13 Roman Chair curl-ups.  3x13x35lbs barbell curls.  3x13x30lbs (I think) tricepcs curls (I was talking with a friend I bumped into and sort of lost count).

Tuesday night was a writing night:  I managed about 1800 words across about three scenes.  I want to say that I did just under 1500 words Monday... but I'll have to look.  I've been doing a lot from my iPad, but the Mac version of Scrivener is the one that does all the statistics -- I'll have to see how the stats are compiled after I sync the versions.

Tuesday was a rough day.  I learned my writer friend, Dianna Rodgers, died of complications with her lungs early Tuesday morning (she was in line to get a lung transplant in Seattle over the next few months).   She had just turned 60.

 I met Dianna at Wordos; she managed to stay out of the rounds of Writers Playing Badly, and at times I would talk with her about those rounds because of her background as a social worker.  Dianna had a great writers' hand-out on critical thinking errors your characters can make (like dodging responsibility by blaming the victim), which she had gleaned from her work in the social justice system.  

She was the first person to make The Child cry:  she had graciously offered Damon Kaswel and me a ride the to Eugene Airport to go to Writers of the Future, but all The Child knew was that I had hopped into Dianna's van and driven away.  

When I got home from work Tuesday, it took Mark pointing it out, but the city had cut down a huge Sitka spruce on the corner of the block.  It was about six stories high, and the crows and jays and squirells loved it.  I can't believe how much it dominated the corner, and now the neighborhood looks much more like a 1960's project than it did Monday.   We're waiting for ugly four-plex with horible renters to be thrown up in the next four months.   Luckily, for us, the corner lot has two houses and an alley between our lot; but still.  

I went out and there wasn't even a stump; someone had placed cut daffodils and a wreath of the tree's broken boughs on the place where the roots once were.

Went to the gym Wednesday.  300 calories on the Nordic Elliptical.  3x13x30lbs on the deltoid fly.  13x(30+40+50)lbs on the pec fly.  13x(50+60+70)lbs on the lat pulldown.  3x13 Roman Chair curl-ups.  3x13x35lbs barbell curls.  3x13x30lbs triceps curls. 3x8x5lbs side-and-front free-weight flex thingies that I can't remember the name of.

Looking at writing statistics, according to Scrivener, I wrote 12,800 words in February and 3000 total for March.  There are a couple of negative word count days, and I'm assuming that is when I edited things.   The total word count for my Very Rough Draft is 21,500.  Oh dear. . . .  This isn't the best news, because I should be at 45,000 words in a week if I want to be at 90,000 by May 1.




No comments: