Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Hildigard Migraine

Last night (Monday) I was working on the novel (breaking up large texts into scenes and moving them around in Scrivener) and was going to move on to new writing when I noticed a bright spot in my vision.  Yep, it was the begining of an aura that presages a migrane. I was hoping it would go away, but  then I noticed there was also a blind spot when I looked down at the H-key on my keyboard.  Luckily,  I didn't have much pain or discomfort;  but it made it hard to see.

At first, there was a whirlpool of blue sparks and a kind of fog in the right side of my vision.  It seemed to be mostly in my right eye.  A little later on, the sparks united into a jagged line that started about 11 o'clock in my right eye (and possibly just a little in my left eye), arced in a saw-toothed lightning bolt around the clock, and ended at 7 o'clock.  A one point there seemed to be a little red flame at the 7 o'clock terminus of the wiggling lightning bolt.  Lightning bolts are new:  I usually get bands of flashing sparks.  I would have channeled my inner Hildegard Vonbingen, but I really couldn't read and I wondered if maybe the computer screen might be making the auras worse.   I imagine my Hildegard verses would go like this:


(Cue New Age handbells, synthesizer chords, and a world beat)
Sing praise to the Sky FatherWhose breast is like roiling storm clouds.Whose heart beats like thunder.Whose love is like lightning.Tempestuous One! Rain your blessing love upon us!


(Oh, wait!  KWAX's Tuesday morning show is playing a violin piece (with horn flourishes) that this fits into!)

Luckily, from first spark to last blurry lightning bolt only lasted about a half-hour (thanks ibuprophen?).  I'm thinking that the last migrane was triggered by a storm coming in, and last night a storm blew in.  

Tuesday I was a little off; I didn't exactly have a headache, and I think I'm going to call it a "not-headache."  Or maybe an "Oh my brain."   Caffeine seemed to help.    At least three social media friends contacted me and told me to make sure the previous evening's fireworks show wasn't a detatched retina -- so I made an appointment with an eye doctor.

I took a little disco nap, and then went off to write.  I started out with a Vance travelling upriver in a punt with Jerick and realized -- because this is a "meet the family" prelude -- that Jerick's sister Jynene would be with them after I'd written about three-fourths of the disjointed scenes comprising their trip.   I managed about 1800 words.

On the technical end, the upcoming new moon on St. Patrick's day makrs the half-way point of thisprocject, and I'm still only about 25000 words into a Very Rough Draft.... I'm hoping to get back on track writing wise the week before Easter, when I'll have the house to myself (and the cats)

No comments: